Table of Contents
Kids – and especially boys! – are often fascinated by anything with wheels. Cars, trucks, wagons: If a toy moves you know they will love it! But the king of wheeled toys is the train. More specifically, Thomas the train. Thomas the train has existed since the 1940s and in an ever changing toy landscape, the fact that it continues to be a child (and parent) favourite, means that there must be something special about it. The toy’s current resurgence in popularity is due to attention being given to the importance of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) toys and their ability to be both fun and educational. If you’re looking to invest in a Thomas the train toy for your child, here are some favourites.
|First Choice||Fisher-Price Thomas the Train Tough Trike||$||4.5/5|
|Second Choice||Fisher-Price Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Talking Edward||$||4.4/5|
|Third Choice||Thomas the Train: TrackMaster Maron Station Starter Set||$||4.3/5|
This toy is designed for toddlers who need to go fast and think walking takes too much time. Toddlers who aren’t tall enough to reach the pedals can maneuver the trike with their legs; once they grow, they can transition into the pedals. This dual purpose increases the life span of the toy. The colours of the trike all correspond to Thomas the train, so it is especially great if your child is familiar with the character.
- The trike is very durable. The hard plastic is made to withstand a lot of wear and tear.
- It can be used for multiple years. The toy is designed for ages 2 to 5, and depending on how fast your child grows, can be used for many years.
- This trike meets the needs of any budget
- If your toddler transitions into a real bike sooner than you thought, this toy might become obsolete.
Edward is one of the oldest engines in the Thomas the Tank Engine world and kids love his wisdom and encouraging attitude. This model of Edward not only moves, but it talks, too. There are fun buttons to press so toddlers can hear all the train sounds: whistles, chugging and Edward’s signature voice.
- This train is mechanical. It has sounds and a light, two ingredients kids love.
- It is compatible with other Thomas toy sets including the popular Take-n-Play Portable Fold-out playsets.
- The train looks just like the TV version of Edward.
- The size is hard to judge by the picture – actual size is about 5 inches long – so be aware if you are looking for a larger version.
This beginner track is essential for any children wanting to play with Thomas the Tank Engine trains. The train set includes 10 track pieces that create a nice oval shape, a train station, and Thomas the Tank Engine.
- The track pieces help your child practice important skills like design and puzzling.
- If you want to add to the starter set, it is compatible with all TrackMaster track sets.
- As this is only a beginner set, chances are your child will be wanting more track pieces and more trains to play with which can become expensive.
Thomas the train seems to be an inevitable favorite toy for toddlers and because of the educational/practical value of the items under the brand umbrella, it is easy to find a Thomas gift for your child even if it isn’t a train! When playing with any Thomas the train toy, children can practice their design skills and begin to understand the inner workings of mechanical toys. Thomas toys are bright and colorful and encourage creativity; because they can be used in a variety of ways, children can continue to play with them as they grow older.
Simple as it looks, this Thomas the train toy, Maron station starter set can actually give a child a good time. Below is a short video of it.
The large oval train track set features Thomas the Tank Engine, entertaining a child. You could actually see that the kid is having a pretty good time.